The Human Potential

Aaron - Sugarcreek, Ohio

I believe that human potential goes far beyond even our wildest imagination. To think that we as a human race are capable of almost anything is just as much frightening as it is questioning. I believe that we all could be more than what we are. No, not could be…can be. We all can be more than what we are.

To view the human race as a creation, a complex being of emotions and wills, I see more than just the need to survive. I see the need to learn, to strive to be more than just a man or a woman. I see the need to be a hero. I see the need to be a genius. I see the need to be the greatest, the best. But even with these goals we haven’t even begun to tap into our highest or greatest potential.

A God, bigger and more sovereign than anything else in the universe, created us. Did he create us to breathe, to eat, to survive? Yes, we do those things. But is that why he created us? No. He created us to move mountains, walk on water, turn water into wine. He created us to be a light, to be the very reflection of himself. He created us to be more than what we are. Our faith keeps us from becoming more, our lack of faith. We are blind to the capacity of what our minds and bodies are able to do. We are scared, afraid to leap off a cliff for fear of falling. Why can’t we believe that when we jump we will fly? Why can’t we believe that if we have faith we can move mountains?

Somewhere God is there, looking on, crying silently inside. We are his ruined potential. He poured all he had into us, his love, his mercy, his faith. And we spat in his face becoming the mediocre beings, breathing, eating, and surviving, blind to the unseen world. Blind to our own potential.

But what if just one person jumps, one person leaps. Yes maybe one person really can change the world!