The Power of Music

Dave - Victoria, Canada

There is no one dialect that everyone on earth can understand. Perhaps there is one for a certain region, but there is always somewhere on earth where you can’t understand what people are saying. However, no matter who you are, or what language you speak, music can always get its point across.

Everyone can tell just by listening what kind of song he or she is listening to. If it’s slow and melodic, it’s a sad song. If it’s quick and upbeat, it’s meant to be a happy song, or a celebratory song. If you sit there, and listen to the rhythm, the melody, truly feel the song; it can affect your mood, even penetrate your soul

My childhood was a difficult one, going through a divorce when I was 2, then my mother getting remarried less than a year later. As I grew older, more able, my new step-dad began giving me laborious tasks, threatening to hurt me if I didn’t oblige. If I ever talked back or looked at him wrong he would backhand me and push me to the ground. It went on like this until I was 12, and then my mother intervened and filed for a divorce, which was successful.

During that time, there wasn’t much I could do; my mother was always away, as she was in the military, posted on a navy ship. I therefore resorted to music. It was my one getaway from all life’s difficulties. I would go to my room, or the basement, or sit outside and put my headphones in and just listen. It helped me calm my nerves, and comforted me when no one else would. Music can never betray you, music cannot hurt you, it is always there when you need it.

I believe in the healing power of music. It may not give the same comfort as another human being can give, but it’s a suitable substitute. I’ve found I trust music more than I trust people. I’m not saying that all people aren’t trustworthy, but sometimes it’s good to be able to escape to a world of wonder where nothing can harm you; a secure place of relaxation and relief.