Friendship made of Stone

Dan - 99218, Washington

Friendship made of stone

I believe in true friendship. The kind that lasts over long periods of time with minimal contact. The kind that allows you to talk with your friends whenever you need to. The kind that you will remember 50 years later, and smile. True Friends are understanding, and they know everything about you, just as you know everything about them. That is the kind of friendship I am blessed to share with five other people. John, Ryan, Val, Chandler, and Derran.

Over this past year, it was really proven to me that my five friends are in fact true, and not just acquaintances whom I will forget five years down the road. It was August 22nd, we had just shared our last day together at Silverwood, for I was going away to college the next day. This was one of the toughest days of my life, because I knew time with them would be very limited over the next year. I was worried what I would do about being able to see them so little. I spent everyday with these guys, but that was about to come to an end.

Throughout the school year, I got to come home occasionally, and whenever I did, things seemed to just pick up where they left off that hot summer day three, four, five months earlier. And now, school is done in two weeks. I have two weeks until I can be with them again on a daily basis, spending time swimming in the river, taking road trips to Coeur d’Alene, or cruising around downtown with the windows down as we yell at people on the sidewalk.

I do not look at the time spent apart as a waste, because it really showed me how even when so far apart, true friendships can last. No matter the length of time passed, true friendships never fade. I like to think of a friendship like a big chunk of stone, and it is up to you to make it into something spectacular. Each conflict and resolution, every good time as well as bad, is a like a little chiseling in that stone, which eventually turns into something beautiful.

I know that eventually me and my friends will have to part ways again. Careers, marriage and age and eventually death will separate us from each other, but the memories we shared will surely remain, as well as our friendship.