I Believe in the Limitations of the Human Mind

Richard - Littleton, Colorado

It took me a while to realize that I do not know everything, nor will I ever possess a fraction of one percent of all attainable knowledge. There are simply too many limitations of the human mind. This I believe.

As a human, the top of the food chain, a ‘’supreme’’ intelligent life form, you often feel as if you carry an intellectual burden. You feel as if it is your duty to enlighten the world and learn as much as you can before your time on this planet comes to an end. You pursue many things, life your life going down a crowded highway at 90 miles-per-hour, but every once in a while a car in front of you slams on the breaks. You are forced to stop, slow down, or risk a three car pileup. You sit there and wait. You reflect. Maybe you have been speeding through life for too long, inevitably to reach the same destination as the more responsible drivers. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.

You couldn’t avoid the driver in front of you. It was out of your control that he decided to hit the breaks. The driver limited your speed, and you were forced to react. You couldn’t bypass him even though you wanted to because all other lanes were full.

There are some things that are simply out of our control. There are some things that biology has dictated that we cannot do. It is impossible for us to know everything, whether it be intellectual, practical, or spiritual. There are many roadblocks that prevent us from attaining all attainable knowledge. We must learn to be observant if we are to realize this truth. We need to realize that we can learn from our friends, our parents, our significant others, our grocers, our scientists, our teachers, and everyone who we encounter on the highway of life. We shouldn’t be speeding past each other, failing to realize that in the car to the left of us is a mother. In the car in front of us, a widow. To our right, a millionaire. Oh, and don’t forget the scenery.

We are all inhabitants of this planet we call earth. If we all knew everything there would be no need for social interaction. There would be no need for observation. There would be no one to enlighten. We could all simply speed to our deaths and it wouldn’t matter. The joy of learning is the journey. The joy comes from the drive, the scenery, and the people.

There are limitations of the human mind that prevent us from known everything, whether it be intellectual, practical, or spiritual. This I believe.