honesty

kristen - Bozeman, Montana

May 8, 2009

Dear President Obama,

I am deeply frightened. Have you ever heard the saying K.I.S.S.? Keep it simple stupid. I have to remind myself often. Life can be made unnecessarily complex. We as humans have this power. We always add drama, like sugar. Sugar breeds a nasty fungus.

I love my country, yet I also treasure this world. My community is most dear to me, and my family is solid gold. My friends are amazing; while are billions of people around the world.

As you make daily decisions, think of the maxims your family holds dear. What do they believe in? What have they imparted to you? What would they do in your shoes? What do those who we respect and love, teach us? They hopefully challenge our minds.

You must lose sleep because so many of the decisions you make inherently affect us all. Think of how you would feel when you and your family have to leave your home because of massive bomb raids. Imagine if you couldn’t sleep because you didn’t have any clean water to drink. What if your closest friend decided to join the “insurgency” because the alternative life as a teacher wasn’t paying for his family’s food anymore? Death can always offer escape when things are at their darkest. What if your daughter was raped? I do not apologize for the graphic images I toss out, because these basic human rights are utterly vital to my ability to question my life. These are the reasons why I am so petrified. I fear for my fellow human. We are all connected.

These are things billions of people have to deal with, as you well know. I sincerely hope you chose to study the maxims these people hold dear. What has been passed from generation to generation in the area you have decided to send drones fighters to? This is the key to our success as a global society. Community and family are essential to everyone’s victory. How do we preserve this without respect? How do we protect with war and violence? People like Greg Mortenson need to be heard. He is a bridge from our grim present circumstances, to a brighter future. He has listened and continues to do so.

I sleep well at night because I have very little to worry about. This country is utterly amazing. I am blessed with a remarkable family and friend network. My family stretches out across the world, across bloodlines and time zones. I have a job that I love. I feel respected. I am strong and healthy. I don’t know hunger. I have a roof over my head that doesn’t leak. I am supported. I have clean water to drink.

Please, help others get to where I am. I am intrinsically proud. Basic human rights, is what we ALL want. Our founding fathers knew that. Implementing is the challenge I entrusted to you on November 4th, 2008. Yes, we can, we will, we did and will do again. The human spirit is irrepressible and resilient. Fighting it is futile, as is war on any front. Honesty first. Solutions now. Education forever.

Simply, keep it simple,

Kristen