I Believe in Teachers

Brian - Lakewood, Washington
Themes: respect

I Believe In Teachers

I believe that we do not give teachers all the respect they deserve. Teachers shape the face of America, and determine what types of people go out into the world we live in. Teachers are the gateway between the information available today, and the people developing it tomorrow. Everyone has a memory of a teacher from grade school. The memory and the connotations that go with it, determine in some small way where a person’s life goes. It may have the smallest influence, and have no seeming effect, but once examined completely, there is in some way or another, a tie between where your life is now, and your teachers growing up.

I remember all of the teachers I have ever had. I remember having teachers that I did not like. I remember having teachers who’s class I loved being in. I know that all of those teachers effected where my life is today in one way or another. I know that my political views are partially determined by my high school history teacher, and her values. I know that my values as far as where I want my life to end up are determined in a big way to the values of my high school business teacher. These are some of the ways that teachers can have a lasting effect on a student’s life.

Many students have the idea that teachers are just there to tell people what they can and can not do. This attitude is a major problem in the education system because if a person has that attitude, they will more than likely express or reflect that attitude upon their children. I think that this attitude needs to go. I remember sitting in class and hearing a student completely disrespect a teacher to her face. I remember thinking that that student must be insane. This probably had something to do with the fact that my mother is a teacher, but never the less, I remember wondering why a person would think that would be ok. I know that teachers did things to upset students, and I remember being very upset with a teacher, and I remember wanting to tell that teacher how I felt. I knew that I could not do that because I would not only get in trouble with that teacher, but that if my parents were to find out, I would be in a whole new kind of trouble.

I believe that teachers are responsible for much of the success achieved by any and all of their past students. They develop all of the daily skills that we need to communicate and survive in society. They share life stories with us. They help us realize our mistakes. They show us our abilities, and they point out our potential. Whether it be what college we chose, the career we pursued, or the way that we vote. Teachers are the most influential people in our lives.