Love: Not Just a Feeling

Abigail - Rathdrum, Idaho

My mother is the most narrow minded individual I have ever met with tougher skin than a rhino. She is ridiculously opinionated and has no logical reasoning behind her disapprovals. My father on the other hand, is a man that truly believes in the saying “whatever happens…happens.” He is extremely energetic, isn’t worried about consequences, and the most understanding individual. I have shortly figured out that my parents have proven the theory that opposites attract. Their opposing views, beliefs, and morals help develop a wider knowledge of the world surrounding them. It’s one of those things that can be taught through a textbook or practiced at church. From watching my parents as I grew up to a mature age, I realized they both have such a grand marriage because of the difficult tasks that made it worthwhile. That’s why I believe that opposites that attract are the most intellectually developed people in life.

I inhabited a disgusting fetish with being correct from my mother. It had really taken a toll on my whole self presentation going through school. It wasn’t too long ago before I met my match, just as my mother had when meeting my father. The day I had met someone who eventually showed me that life wasn’t about arguing, being right, and giving up anything to win.

I had discovered his personality was completely reverse of mine. Although we liked each other, the only thing we had in common was wanting the satisfaction of being right. I felt a sense of vulnerability take over my body as he argued back. Such a pitiful situation as whether the speed limit was 65 or 60 mph. Road rage took place as we both starting yelling and irritating each other. The sign came closely and we both starred hard at the side of the road. This time, he was right, and I knew it. That day I felt differently as we passed the 65 mph sign. I had been proven wrong, and there was no way around it. No one had done this before to me. Then on disagreements came and went, and slowly did we both see that fighting had gotten the worst of us. A breakup was in the near future with so much fury and hostility built up.

It’s has been over a year now. We developed an incredible love for one another. Reflecting back on a time ago, I have come to realize that love is a powerful thing. It has made me think in different ways that I have never thought before. I have learned life is much harder when fighting for the satisfaction of being right. Whether I’m right or wrong doesn’t matter anymore. I have no crazy obsession about being right to this day. I put up a good fight when it is necessary, and since the change my life has been so much more peaceful. Now I’m finally happy.