I believe in the power of imperfection

Huazi - Moscow, Idaho

I believe in imperfection and its power which compels people to get close to perfection.

Nowadays, people like to accept a respect of perfection. Nobody is glad to be looked down with an appreciation of imperfection. Doing a thing right is not just the only one goal people want to achieve. People, more importantly, deliberately request themselves to do a thing better. Once they indeed finish a thing better, they would likely review how many points in the procedure they can finish much better.

Ever since I was a teenager, I was edified with a conception that the world absolutely has white and black, right and wrong, perfect and imperfect. When I was studying in my primary school and junior high school, I followed the conception and took every quiz and test with a standard of perfection. At that time, I endeavored to successfully solve every problem in my tests, because I maintained that there is a perfect score out there.

As I grew older, I found that “perfection” is not always positive and unbeatable as this word manifests. When I met failure and imperfection, I learnt more as a result of my efforts to find what I need to improve. For instance, I knew what chemistry knowledge I had to make up after I had gotten a B grade in a regular exam, and then I reviewed carefully before the final test came. On the contrary, I did not ponder whether or not I totally comprehended the calculus principle after I had luckily answered a multiple-choice problem right. Being perfect for a short time makes it possible for people to leave out something that they need to pay attention.

Being imperfect doesn’t mean that people are not able to reach “the peak of perfection.” More importantly, it is a smart attitude which accelerates people to find and correct errors when they meet problems and difficulties. After finding solutions, people suddenly transform imperfection to perfection. People are under the illusion that what they do can simply be perfect without valuing and emphasizing the errors that imperfection creates. As a matter of fact, the more often people correct these errors, the more likely they can get closer to perfection.

We know instinctively, just as beekeeper with their bees, that imperfection is synonymous with mistakes, drawbacks and disadvantage. However, people have higher possibilities to be the best so long as they earn experience by estimating imperfection.