My Adventure Awaits

Megan - Somerset, California

I believe in adventure. Being adventurous is definitely an optional approach to life, but in my opinion, those who are have a far more interesting story to tell. I would rather listen to someone’s story about their first sky diving experience then someone who’s trying to tell me what type of food they’re allergic to. If a person goes through life insecure about him/herself, they won’t achieve very much in the end. When I was younger, I used to do many activities that were considered adventurous and I never once thought about injuring myself or how outrageous it was. I raced motocross by age ten, I played softball for four years, I’ve played basketball since the first grade, and I used to travel with my mom across country. I’ve been to a total of thirty-seven states and two countries, excluding America.

I used to live life adventurously and it brought me joy; I seemed happier and innocent. Since I’ve been in high school, stress has consumed my life. I’m always home alone because my parent’s jobs require a lot of traveling which means more added responsibilities someone my age shouldn’t have to deal with. Because of this I had more things to worry about. What am I going to make for dinner tonight? How am I getting to school? My parents tell me it’s a preparation for life but it’s too much too soon. I stopped doing sports as often as I used to, I don’t travel anymore, and I haven’t done anything spontaneous since my twelfth birthday to Disneyland. I asked myself numerous times why I haven’t been enjoying life as much as I used to., then I realized it’s because I’m lacking that adventure. Maybe I’m tired of waking up to the same routine everyday? Living conservatively is almost like not living at all, in my opinion. So what if I get hurt or in trouble? I’m not the type to regret because at one time, it was exactly what I wanted. I’d rather feel something then nothing at all. Now I’m getting back into motocross and I’ve taken up wakeboarding during the summer. Perhaps I’ll find an adventure to inspire and define me again.