I Believe in Never Forgetting

Crystal - USA

I believe in never forgetting. As we all know racism still exist today, even though we have been trying to stop it for many years. People are still being stereotyped. And still make dumb jokes about Mexicans and they don’t even realize how we feel about it. I realized this in 2008 when my dad and I were shopping in Wal-Mart. My dad and I were standing in the candy isle, and there was also this tall white man standing next to us giving us a dirty look and staring us down in a weird way. My dad had told me in Spanish to call my mom and ask her if she needed anything else. So I did as he told me, and we started walking towards the cash registers when we heard the man yell out at us, “Speak English”. My dad and I turned around and said, “Excuse me”? The man repeated “I said speak English, “You’re in America”. He continued and said, “Go back to Mexico if your going to speak your stupid language, I’m going to send you and all of your family back; watch me do it.”My dad argued with him and told him this was a free country and we could speak any language we want.”We turned around and tried to ignore the man, but he followed us to the cash register and kept on saying rude things about Mexicans. It was so humiliating seeing all the people in Wal-Mart staring at us. But after a while Wal-Mart employees came and kicked out the rude man. After we paid for all of our stuff an employee came and escorted us out to make sure that the man wasn’t out there waiting for us. One thing I don’t understand is why there are still racist people and beliefs in our modern world. That is why I believe in never forgetting because that experience was my first and hopefully it will be my last. I will never forget that man and what he stands for. I will never forget his face or what he said to us.I want to never forget him because sterotyping individuals hurts- I should know. I never want to forget this moment so i never stereotype anyone or group.