I Believe in Her

Steven - Las Cruces, New Mexico

My sister’s name is Cristina. She is one and a half years old, and she can’t walk talk, or crawl like a regular baby. But I believe one day she’ll start doing all of that. Once I was sitting down watching TV and my sister made a loud humming noise. But my mom moved her lips up and down, so it sounded like she said “Mama.”

Once we went to the doctor for a diagnosis. Cristina was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy and Microcephaly. Cerebral palsy is only a little damage to the brain but she will develop but not as fast as a normal child. Microcephaly is a development disorder to the head. Her head sticks out more in the back than the front. I almost started crying when the doctor told us her diagnosis because she’s so helpless. Even sometimes I look at her and I get teary-eyed. When we received the diagnosis, we all left the doctor’s office silent while my older brother, sister, and I tried to make Cristina laugh. Sometimes she laughs at us and gets us in a good mood and makes us laugh. That’s why we all love her.

On the way home we were all in a good mood. When we arrived home we felt sorry for her, but at the same time we were in a good mood. So we went to eat at a café and my sister ate the food really well. Sometimes she has trouble eating; she gags on the food. I gave her some banana pieces and she ate them. My mom laughed like she was happy when she ate the banana.

I think Cristina’s feelings inside were that she felt bad for us so she tried really hard to show us that she was developing. I know she’s developing, but not as fast as she should. We all know she’s maturing.

Once she was on the floor and she was rolling over a lot and she would laugh when she did. So we knew she was having fun. My mom nearly started crying from happiness. But as the weeks went by she forgot how to roll over.

But now she’s starting to babble and even scream. So even now we know she may be small. But she can still do a lot of things.

So we go on with our lives with Cristina. I really hope that she’ll start walking or even crawling. I don’t really care what she does, but I still love her. We all love her and that’s all she needs to be my sister. That’s why I believe in my sister.