believing in yourselfis the key to sucess

Ethel - pasadena, California

I believe that you can do anything you want to do. It is always hard to do the right things, and simple to make bad choices. But in the end life is all about making choices, and you either take the easy road and make the poor ones or work hard and take the high road.

Last year, when I was twelve years old, graduation season was right around the corner. I would think to myself at times that she wasn’t going to be able to make it, that she was indeed a failure because every negative thing that people were telling her were becoming reality.. But she proved us all wrong. She believed in herself and persevered through hard times in order to show everybody that she could accomplish what they didn’t think she was capable of doing. Who am I talking about? None other than the one person that I share a love hate relationship with, my sister.

Samantha started off the year on the wrong foot I guess. There’s a certain point in time where you just give up, when you think it’s useless, there’s nothing you can do to make things better at this point. I believe that she had met this point as she started failing and everyone started to criticize her, telling her that she couldn’t make it, so she started to believe it herself. When she was given the opportunity to make things better, she was not going to let it go. This was her second chance and we all knew she would not be given a third. She had a lot of work to make up and many unnecessary things just for credit and although she might of found what she was doing silly or pointless she still kept going.

In my opinion everyone must have a motivation in order to succeed. She had a motivation, and she did have encouragement as well, but the most important thing I believe she had was faith in herself. For once I saw her put her responsibilities before her desires. While I was at Disneyland she was at home all day working on her makeup work for school because she knew that was the only way she would be able to graduate.

I see my sister twice a week, and most of the time we are arguing or busy doing something else, so I’ve never been able to let her know how proud I am of her. She is my older sister and although I do not wish to follow her footsteps exactly –simply because I want to make my own– I will always think of what she did when I feel like giving up. Remember how hard she had to work on those last days. Think back on how she persevered through that time when she was truly working hard, for the first time I a long time.