Alexander - El Mirage, Arizona
Themes: setbacks

As a young boy you do not really much to worry about. You can go all day without thinking or even caring about the future. I however did not have that carless feeling that all the other little children had. I would spend all my nights staying up for as long as I probably could some times stay up the whole night waiting for my dad to come home.

I was seven years old at the time and my father was the only person I ever really bonded with. I am fifteen now and I still think about the times when my dad would not come home for days on end because he was out stealing fighting and doing anything else to get drugs.

One day in towards the end of the summer my dad did not come home and my mom would not tell me why. That day was the beginning of the worst couple of months of my life. Over the next few months I had started to see my parents fight more and more about stuff so trivial. My dad started coming home when he usually would less and less until the earliest he would come home would be around 3:00 in the morning. When January 21 came around I hope and prayed that my dad would be home foe my birthday the following day. When he did not come home I was heart broken. I, a nine year old boy feeling completely abandoned and betrayed by the person I ever cared about most in my life decided to run away.

I packed up my stuff and headed to the door. When I opened it I saw my father passed out right there in the door way. I ran and told my mom and she called 911. When we went to visit him in the hospital that night the doctor said that he had overdosed on meth. I stayed with him the whole night in that hospital. A few days later when he came home from the hospital, he said that he was sorry and I spending the last hours of my birth day in the hospital with him really got him thinking about his life and how deeply his family cared for him and that he would change and not do drugs ever again. That was the last day that he ever did drugs and I like to think that he changed for me. I think everyone can change but they just have to want to and this I believe.