Like Mother, Like Daughter

Megan - Caldwell, Idaho

We will become similar to our parents whether we like that fact or not. We will become like our parents for a few simple reasons. The main reason is because they are our role models and they teach us what to do. Also because they are the ones who are around us all the time, so we see how they act, and how they think. We learn to act and think like them because that is what we grow up with and are surrounded with throughout our childhood. Like father like son, like mother like daughter is the personal creed that I live by in my life, and this is what I believe.

I have been told on numerous occasions that I am like my mother. Everyone says that we look alike, sound similar on the phone and the way we say things, and how we act. In general, we have the same mannerisms. When people first used to tell me this I would shoo away the idea and deny it. Now that I am older and have moved away from home, I truly realize how alike my mother and I really are, and that I have grown up to be her in more ways than one.

My mother and I look very, very similar. If someone were to take a baby picture of my mom from when she was a year or two old, then take a baby picture of me at that same age, it would be difficult to tell who is who other than the fact that her picture is older than mine is. I used to find it weird that my mom and I looked so much alike, but now I take pride in the fact that I look like her.

My mother frets about little things. What I mean by frets is freaks out over little things and turns them into bigger deals than they really are. One example in particular is when my mom had to plan a sleep over for about ten girls. She was freaking out over everything, whether or not we had enough food, enough games, enough room for everyone, and enough time to sleep and be picked up the next morning. It took me a while to calm her down and get her to stop fretting. Along those same lines, I had to write a skit for a fraternity’s philanthropy, and I was freaked out when we had to perform it. I was afraid that we were going to not do very well. Now, my mom was the one calming me down and getting me to stop fretting. We are alike in so many ways. I have become similar to my mother, simply because she was the one who was all around me when I was growing up.