I believe in being yourself.

Hayley - North Port, Florida

I believe in being yourself.

When you can be yourself and show the world who you really are, you will be much happier. Expressing yourself would show you who you really are and would lead you to the people that would truly appreciate who you are.

I am a very outgoing and loud teenage girl. I very rarely am shy and that’s the way I’ve always been, except when I was in 6th grade. I was scared of going to a new school, I was nervous about all the new people. I didn’t know if I would really fit in there. I would walk to the bus stop all by myself every morning. Even though there were four other people at my bus stop, I didn’t talk to one of them. Then I would mope through school, barely saying a word.

Two of the people that were at my bus stop had just moved to our town, they were sisters that lived two houses down. Their names were Kassi and Kylee. Kassi was my age and Kylee two years older. They seemed really nice, but I just couldn’t talk to them and I don’t know why, even now. I wanted to be friends with them and I wanted to talk to them, I guess I just didn’t know how.

Months went by, with me just being this shy girl, a girl I had never seen in myself. I guess I just got used to the whole shy, quiet girl I had become. But I wasn’t happy at all. I missed all my friends. I missed having fun. I missed being me.

One day, about half way through the school year, there were only two seats left when Kassi and I got on the bus and they were right next to each other. We sat in silence for a couple minutes then Kassi took out a brand new camera. I told her I loved the camera and “click”, we were best friends. I don’t know what it was, but I suddenly, was myself again. We took a bunch of pictures and laughed a lot. Later that day after school, I decided to go over to her house. When she answered the door she was happy to see me. Kylee, Kassi, and I watched movies and played on the computer and took a lot of pictures, we had a lot of fun.

I am in 9th grade now. Kassi and I have been inseparable since that day in 6th grade. Kassi, Kylee and I are practically sisters. We do everything together; we always have something to laugh about. Kassi, is my ultimate best friend, I’ve never met anyone like her. I’ve realized that if I had never opened up that day, if I had never been myself, I never would be best friends, with the best friend I’ve ever had.