Schooling – Awareness – Music

John - Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Schooling – Awareness – Music

I believe the fortune in the cookie I had after dinner one night contained a clean piece of truth. The fortune read, “Education is a process of living, not a preparation for future living” I believe it is the daily bits of positive, hopefully less so negative, experiences we have that make up our education. Epictetus said “We must not believe the many, who say that only free people ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the philosophers who say that only the educated are free“. I believe we experience freedom every time we learn something new. It brings us awareness. Depending upon our choices, awareness gives us the power to move forward toward our dreams and goals. Awareness can also allow us move around negativity and obstacles.

I believe it is important for me to make an effort to learn four things each day, one about a person, one about a place one about an object and, one about fishing. Don’t always follow this with action but I try. I believe that proper prior planning prevents poor performance and form follows function, with one exception, ice-cream cones. It is critically important for the success of our society that all children have the opportunity to receive a free high quality public education. I also believe in the wisdom of Samuel Clemmons when he wrote, “Don’t let your schooling get in the way of your education.” If I can assist a student in developing the following personal belief,”I want to learn more!” I have done a pretty good job. I function better if I have a mission. My current mission is to help all the young people I meet, especially my own children, develop skills that will help them make there own, well thought through, decisions about their lives. I always hope that every child I work with develops a sense of empathy.

The power of music is incredible. I believe music is the great peacemaker and allows us to experience creative hope. Playing a musical instrument can help free the soul, soothe the mind and, clean the mud out of your attitude. Music can take us on a journey through the past present and future all at the same time. Teaching songs to people and singing or playing them together can develop great personal and spiritual connections. I believe music can hurt, if turned up to loud or with words that tell lies. Music can also heal, with kind honest words and a soothing melody.

I believe we need to take care of each other. This I believe.