It’s All About The Moments

Matt - Arvada, Colorado

The last thing I remember was the sweet smell of the strawberry gas. Two months earlier, I had an intense pain in my ankle area on my leg. As if I was being hit with a wooden bat every time I ran during the pre-season practice for baseball. I’ll admit that when I found out to get rid of this pain I would need surgery I was scared. But after a few days it really started to sink in and by 10 a.m. March 20, 2006 I was focused and ready to face my situation dead in the face. After all, it’s just a leg surgery. A simple procedure, that has never killed, but yet still has the potential to handicap, and morally disable a person.

Through out the whole “ordeal” I was in high spirits and not worried about anything. Call it having a good attitude, call it faith, but what got my through it all was the reasons to laugh at myself and everything going on around me. It might have been the way I was looking at it, that I was able to make a joke of it all. Even the operation itself, I thought, was hilarious. They were filling a hole that had formed in the bone of my leg with bone plaster which to me seems like paper machete. I’d be like a walking art project and that’s funny to me. Looking at everything this way took a lot of pressure off and made me even braver than I was before. If I didn’t have a reason to laugh, those two months would have been longer and much more fearful than they really were.

I believe life is full of the funny moments; it’s our job to find them and laugh till our gut hurts. You can’t find them by dwelling on everything bad that has ever happened. Now, that doesn’t mean that you can’t think about the bad things, but to not think too much about all the stress, anger, and sadness that come with everyday life.

All the time people come to me asking for help or advice about their relationship problems, stress problems, and even occasionally about death. What I say most of the time is to laugh at things you find weird, ironic, and humorous at the slightest. Today, people are so caught up in the things in life that bring us down, which is killing us one by one. Life can be a big joke. Not like a joke as if it doesn’t matter. But as if everything has humor to it which it absolutely does.

When I woke up and was conscious once again, I looked around the hospitals surgery recovery wing and laughed a little. I had been out for two hours that seemed like only two seconds and don’t remember a thing apart from the gas. Now there I was in a different bed, different room with different people, and with a giant heavy boot on my leg.

Life is funny, even the hard times that would shake a person down to the very core. But if you don’t look, how are you going to find them?