Talking and Listening

Jannesa - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe in listening to everyone because I know when people don’t listen to me, I don’t really like it. When people listen to me, the feeling is wonderful, but it’s not my choice to make people listen. Sometimes we don’t always listen to them, and they’re not always going to listen back.

When people listen to me I feel like the center of attention sometimes, but when it’s vice versa, it’s like no one knows I’m here. But I’d rather have it the other way sometimes too. Not everyone can speak like most of us; that’s why we’re the lucky ones. But the quiet ones have great writing most of the time.

It’s not always good to talk. Sometimes you have to know the right words to say and when to say them, and other times you have to know when you need to speak up because something bad might happen if you don’t.

When people speak, I know they want to be heard but when no one is paying attention to them, I try to give them a little attention because I know they don’t like to be ignored (like me).

Like when I was a little girl I always liked being the center of attention, but as I got older, I realized that everything wasn’t always going to be about me. I found that out, not by my actions, but through the people around me. I see my cousins, friends, family …… almost all of them are the ones who have everyone’s attention because everyone is talking all the Time!!!

I hardly talk. I only talk a lot with the people I’m most comfortable around. I don’t talk around people I haven’t met. If you’ve ever seen me, I would probably be the quietest person you’ve seen. I probably wouldn’t talk to you if you weren’t the kind of person I hang out with most the time.

I used to hang out with skaters sometimes but now I think I’m starting to hang out with more gangsters and preps, but they talk a lot, and I always see people talking at I the wrong time like during a test. I really don’t like talking that much. I only talk when I need to.

I honestly think talking has too much freedom, like sometimes my teachers or my friends talk too much about a guy or what they believe in. I think it’s nice that they discuss what they believe, it’s just sometimes its like, “Dude, you talk too much! You need to drop the subject already!” I am the kind of person who likes peace and quiet, like the beach or a garden, a nice quiet relaxing place. I like maybe one or two friends over at a time because it’s too noisy with a lot of people. Like company is nice, but too much company is like a hell storm (ha ha). When there are a lot of people, something always goes wrong.