I believe in people giving to each other.

Jeffrey - North Port, Florida

All my life, I’ve been handed things on a silver platter, and never once expected to actually repay my favors. All my life, I’ve had love, care and safety, and all my life, it took me until now to understand how lucky I am to have it all in the first place.

My name is Jeffrey Melvin, and I believe in giving. Now I know you would think this is just another drop in the bucket, a “lesson” we’ve all heard a million times, but this means a lot to me. I believe that life is hard enough as it is, I used to think we trudge through life trying to accomplish our own goals, always thinking “it’s me against the world, let’s do this!” Only now have I begun to realize that I can’t ignore the person next to me, that we’re all in this together. Whether it is your neighbor, your neighborhood, your state, your country or the world as a whole, if someone is hurting, we all are in some way.

I never really thought about the impact I made on the lives of other people, until once when my car broke down on the road and other people stopped to help me, just because they cared, or helping someone with some computer problem they’ve been having, I never really paid attention to the impact I’ve made on other people or they’re impact on me.

I believe that we all make mistakes and no one person is an island, as hard as it can be, sometimes we need to try to give second chances, try to give, even compassion to others, it doesn’t always have to be a material object. I used to think that trying to give didn’t matter in the long run, but here I am today, and I couldn’t have done it without all the people in my life who pitched in. I only hope that someday I can do the same for someone else.