The Beauty of Puzzles

Thomas - Manson, Iowa

What do I believe in? A seemingly easy concept, or is it pt that gets more and more complex through time. Do I really believe in something that I think culture wants me to believe? Of one thing I am certain that I do believe in, however: I believe in puzzles.

In my home, there was always a table, in the corner of the living room, set with a jigsaw puzzle on the top. Sometimes we would sit together, working the puzzle as a family, everyone working on a different color or pattern. Sometimes, however, each of us would take some time from our day to try and make a dent in the pile of unplaced pieces. No matter how we worked the puzzle, the pieces always fit together to create a beautiful image of a street in Paris, a scenic view of a waterfall in a forest, or a scene from a classic movie. Sometimes, a puzzle would be completed only to find that one or two pieces have gone missing in the shuffle of the everyday of the house. This would always make a picture seem wrong, incomplete.

I believe that the world is just one giant jigsaw puzzle. I believe that each and every one of us is a piece, contributing to the glorious image that is the human race. I believe when any person has been neglected, the image of humanity is not what it can be.

Puzzles are to be found in almost any location. The mats at the local karate studio had to be removed recently due to a flood in the “big room.” After everything had been cleaned up, the red and blue pieces of foam padding had to be replaced, reforming the one large mat that had originally encompassed the floor. Although the pieces were originally universal, some had warped. Thus, the pieces were not placed back in the proper places, and as a result, a large fissure has formed at the front of the room.

Although all the pieces of a puzzle are available, the pieces need to be in their proper place. So too, must humans fill the proper places. Without doctors, bankers, teachers, and other professionals; humanity would not be able to survive to its fullest level, slowly forming a fissure between the people.

I have come to understand the true nature of the human race. I have come to understand that working together as a whole, the collective human population of this earth has the ability to stand strong against almost any adversity placed in its path. I believe in puzzles, and all of their complexities. I believe in the colorful pile of cardboard pieces laying on the small blue table in a corner of the living room. I believe in the red and blue pieces of foam padding, interlocking on the karate school floor. But most of all, I believe in the strength and power of the human race, united as one whole.