This I believe, my mother gave me life twice!

Shelly - Findlay, Ohio

This I believe, my mother, Joanne gave me life twice! My mom was a loving, caring with a great sense of humor person. All the kids in the neighborhood just loved her. When I was a juvenile she and I were not as close until my 20’s when I was more mature and began to understand her better. My mom and I both loved to travel, so we went on many trips together. She was originally from the Vallejo, California and she met my dad while he was in the Air Force. After getting married they moved back to my dad’s hometown in Ohio.

My mom had many hobbies; one of them that took us on our travels was the love of Genealogy. She loved to trace her family tree and she even wrote a book on one side of our family and donated it to our local library. She did this so that others that had the passion of tracing their roots may find some valuable information connected to their family. The older that I get I realize that my personality is very similar to hers.

Then on Memorial Day, May 27, 2002 my mom and I were talking on the phone in the morning and she was giving me directions to her friend Laney’s house to go to a picnic. My mom did not know that there was also a birthday cake for her at the picnic because in three days she was going to be 60 years old. As she was giving me directions all of a sudden in a very strange voice she said “I don’t feel good”. I said “Mom, you alright”, about three times and no answer but I could hear her breathing in the phone. I knew something was terribly wrong! I hurried up and threw some clothes over my pajamas and shaking nervously called 911 and told them something was wrong with my mom. I rushed to my childhood home and found my mom moaning and scared. When the Ambulance arrived the EMT’s said that they thought she had a stroke because her left side was paralyzed. I was thinking that this is recoverable if caught in time. As they were leaving with my mom she looked at me with scared eyes.

When I arrived at the hospital I went to her bedside and tried to comfort her. I said “You’re going to be alright” and my mom nodded yes. I was holding her left hand and the right side that was paralyzed, she some how made her right hand over to touch my hand. I then stroked her forehead and told her to relax. I wish I would have said “How much I loved her”. I did not know this would be the last time that I would get to talk to her. My dad and I found out from the doctor that the CAT scan revealed that my mom had a brain aneurysm. There was very little hope for recovery. I was crushed! But luckily God gave me the chance to speak to her one last time.

When my dad and I had her life-flighted to a bigger hospital in hopes that she may survive, the helicopter toke an unusual route. Usually it follows the main highway and our house was about 2 miles east of the highway. I looked out the back door and they were flying right over our back yard! I think she was getting one last look at her home. The middle of the night she passed away. We had her funeral on her birthday. It was a celebration of her life and death.

About three weeks after her passing I went to my doctor and told him what happened to my mom and he ordered a CAT scan for me of my brain. Aneurysms are very hereditary. The result came back that I had one in about the same spot as my mom’s. In August 31, 2002 I had brain surgery and the Surgeon put a clip on the aneurysm so that it would not burst. The surgeon told my dad that “The good Lord was looking out for me; It was 8 mm big and ready to burst. He would have only given me 0-6 months and it would have burst. My mom saved my life with her death because I would not have had a CAT scan otherwise. This is why I believe she gave me life twice!