The Value of Life

Michael - Westlake, Ohio

I believe that life is the greatest gift of all. People just seem to not appreciate life as much as they should. Every day I hear people say, “I hate my life” and other similar things. Obviously, this is because they are having a bad day or they are angry about something. I used to think that every day that passed by in the summer was a waste if I didn’t go out somewhere with other people.

I never used to really appreciate summer life. I never really saw this life as a privilege, but more of a hassle. I felt like every day of summer that passed by was just a wasted day. Sometimes I would find myself wishing the day away. This state of mind is completely wrong. I began to search for a way to express these feelings that I had. I tried writing poetry, drawing, and even soul searching. I then started to listen to and play music on a daily basis.

I decided to start playing the guitar and I eventually started playing the acoustic guitar on my front porch. I realized that I finally felt like those lonely summer days weren’t just a waste of time. Every day that I spent was about spreading joy to the world. I didn’t even mind if people were watching or listening. Why would that have to matter? I played for the trees, the rain, that passing car, the birds nesting in the red maple tree in my yard, I played for the grass, the squirrel harvesting acorns, the ants carrying food to their hill, the bees spreading pollen and life to the world, and the whistling silence of the wind.

That summer, I began to realize that I can enjoy every day given to me. I can enjoy these lonely summer days because I realized that I am never alone. The world is still turning every day and people, plants, and animals alike are living all around me. Just by spreading a message (even if it is to a plant or animal), I feel like I can make a contribution to the world every day. That is what makes every day one that I can appreciate. The fact that I know even my existence can change someone or something’s world every day. After I came to this realization, I was finally able to be completely satisfied with every day that passed by that summer. I finally saw my life as the greatest gift of all. This I believe.