Musical Guidance

Anthony - Westlake, Ohio

Music has always been a source of inspiration for me, and the way I handle myself is influenced by the messages and morals I’ve taken from the music I listen to. My moral, religious, and political beliefs have all been greatly influenced by the music I listen to. It has helped to mold me into the person I am today.

My personal belief that “How we survive is what makes us who we are” is derived from a song by a band called Rise Against, and it’s something that I always remember when I’m handling a crisis type situation. How I handle myself in my darkest hours helps define who I am, and I’m proud of the way I’ve carried myself thus far. The music I listen to is one of the main things that helps me get through the tough time. Whenever I face a struggle in my life, I know that I can draw inspiration from the music I listen to and play which always helps me get through the tough times.

I’ve had some absolutely horrible days where I felt that there was nothing I could do but sit in the same spot and worry about whatever problem was at hand. Instead of sitting around and wasting my time being saddened, I’ll pull up some music that inspires me and do something constructive with my time. It fuels me. It fires me up. It keeps me going. It gives me a reason to finish what I start and continue what seems impossible to complete.

In my opinion, there is nothing more meaningful that someone could do for someone else than write them a song. When one composes something specifically designed for one person’s ears, it is, in my opinion, the most honest form of expressing love and caring. It takes such great time and care to write someone something so true, and there is never a reason to doubt the person’s heart again.

Playing, writing, listening, and composing music are all incredibly large factions of my life, and without it’s guiding light I shudder to think where I’d be. Music is my driving force, my fire inside. Without music my life wouldn’t be half as meaningful as it is, and my will to continue to face struggles with a strong mind and a stronger heart would diminish greatly. Music will continue to change my life, for better or for worse, but I know that there will always be a lesson to take. The ideals, morals, and otherwise important beliefs I hold will continue to be molded by what I hear. This, I believe.