I Believe…

Ann - Westlake, Ohio

As a senior in high school it’s awkward to be walking around with your freshmen sister. I never thought it was thwarting until someone got me thinking. My sister and I were walking to our classes waiting for the morning bell to ring. We’ve always walked the same route to each of our classrooms, but this particular day we were stopped by one of my sister’s friend. She asked my sister why she is always walking with me. I was shocked; was it a sin to spend more time with a family member? My sister answered with the words that were on my mind, but I would have said it much better. She said, “It’s her last year here and she will be at college next year so I want to spend more time with her.” Both my sister and I know that later in life we will have no time to casually walk and talk again. Even though I knew our reason, but after listening to what that girl said I felt like I’m keeping my sister away from her social life. I offered her to go and talk with her friends but she said she rather walk with me. I felt actually felt happy after hearing her say that; she wasn’t a fun person to be around when she’s in a bad mood and she’s always in one. Yes, we do get into fights and arguments but the fact that we are sisters will never change.

After that conservation between my sister and her friend I realized that my family has been supporting me all this time. During these years my family has become my hiking stick, a stick that helped me along the rocky, skewed trail. Most important is that I’ve learned to appreciate their support and their existent. My family is another normal American family with arguments, fights, bad days, and diseases; however, we still stick together because that’s what a family for. Like my sister, my other family members are all open to me. Even if my brother and sisters get easily annoyed with me, I still feel at ease with them around because I know they love me no matter what I do.

I believe in family. One can choose friends and acquaintances but one can’t choose a family because they were already chosen. I have become who I am because of my family and I know that they were right for me. With them around, they influence my beliefs and personality and without my family, there wouldn’t be me.

I believe that family isn’t a term that describes a priority social group or a group of people that is related by blood. To me, a family is a group of people that loves and cares for each other no matter what happens. Through fights and arguments their love will keep them bonded together. I have been living with this belief and I believe others should too.