Behind The Colors

Schanelle - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: equality

Belief are the things that make you stand out to the world around you. It’s what guides us to the people we will become. Having beliefs gives us the freedom to become what we want to be in this world. This brings up an incidient, when my brother and I got in an arguement. He said that the only reason I wear the name brands of North Face and Ugg boots is because all my friends who are white wear them and “I have to be just like them.” This is not true at all, considering that the clothes don’t have anywhere on them saying that white people are to wear them. North Face and Uggs are just some of the clothes that most Westlake kids are wearing, which is a school that has a high white population living in it. I believe that people should not stereotype a person on what they should be wearing because of the color of their skin.

This argument continued. I told him that because we’re half african american, which today, out society considers full african american, that should be wearing certain brands of clothes. Then, I have to wear the brand Rocco Wear because that’s another stereotype that african american people wear, which includes baggy clothes and chains. These clothes never say the brand on them or what religion or background is suppose to wear the clothing. This is true. It’s the society that we live in that makes those decisions, which are wrong and terrible. Considering that we all are living in the United States of America who have so much in our lives. We are all too busy on the stereotypes of what people should be wearin. Rather than how we should make the world a bether place to livwe in. We’re all people of the United States of America who live together to do the same thing and raise a healthy family.