The Truth and Troubles About Writing a Research Paper

Taylor - Westlake, Ohio

I believe in being thankful for everything that is given or done for you. Everyday I wake up feeling blessed for my family, friends, and every single day that is given to me. I am even thankful for the little things such as a simple day of sunshine or someone doing me a favor. I think that you can’t be self dependent all the time. Sometimes you just need a good friend, family member, or even classmate to keep you from jumping off the deep end. That is what I learned during high school. Someone did a huge favor for me and I will remember it for a long time. Sophomore year, my English class had spent almost a whole quarter working on a research paper. I had to research about hair. I had to research why people had the hair color and texture they had. I thought this was a simple enough research topic but when I really looked into I ended up being really confused. Science was never really my thing. I never really thought that hair color had to do with chromosomes and all of those crazy things! So I ended up writing this absolutely awful paper. I handed the rough draft into my teacher and she was not enthusiastic about it to say the least. She handed it back the next week and the whole paper had a sea of red ink all of over it. In huge letters on the top, my paper said, “REWRITE!” I was totally stressing myself out about it. This ridiculous research paper on hair was worth a major part of my grade. In my total state of freaking out, the girl who sat in front of me in English class turned around. She asked to look at my paper. She took a long time reading my essay and on the back of my paper she wrote advice on what direction I should take my paper in. She was also a huge science buff so that didn’t hurt at all when she was giving me pointers. I rewrote the whole paper the next evening with the advice and information she gave me. I ended up getting an A on the paper and passing my English class with flying colors. Even though she did a tiny favor for me, it helped me out in such a big way. It made me learn to appreciate people. It made me realize that I should be thankful for the tiniest of favors. They took time out of their lives to help me out. So every time I see someone in a time in need, even a classmate, I try to put my time and effort into helping them. Even though the girl who sat in front of me in English class that year doesn’t go to my school anymore, I still remember from time to time how she helped me out. I truly and wholeheartedly believe that I should be thankful for everything.