I Believe in not Wasting

Joey - Westlake, Ohio

I believe in not wasting anything. I hate to throw food away, especially if the only thing wrong with the food is that it is stale. Sometimes we buy pizza from local restaurants and we always keep it in the box it came in, but we can not eat it all by the time it becomes stale, so my mom ends up trying to throw it all away. I tell her not to throw any of it away even though I despise mushrooms, because I will still eat it because I do not want to throw it away. If everyone threw food away a little less than they do now, there would be more food for other people. At my house we make gigantic meals, and put the leftovers in large plastic containers, so we have food for the next couple days. There are people in my family who refuse to eat leftovers, so they throw it away, and that makes me feel ashamed. I also rarely turn on lights at home especially if I am home alone. I also hate to waste water, I will never forget the time my dad was brushing his teeth and he had the water running while he was brushing, so I came over and turned the water off, but he turned it back on and resumed brushing.

At school I notice that some people throw pencils away after a week, but I can make a 10 pack of pencils last an entire year even if I give some of them away. Right now I am using a pencil that is about an inch long; it has lasted me a little over a month. Saving trees, electricity, water, and food makes me feel like I am doing my part to help the world and my parents with their bills.