Zachary - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: family, hope, setbacks

I believe that hope is found through struggle. Most people that think they have found hope through religion. They hope of an “afterlife” or a better tomorrow from a god, even though most of the religious people I have met are higher class citizens that never meet any struggle or challenge in their boring every day lives (Catholics). They seem to look above middle class and lower class citizens because of their god. If you are already far above all of the other classes of citizens what kind of hope do you need? These people do not know what a struggle is and probably never will. My father was an alcoholic and it eventually lead up to my parents getting divorced. My father was seeing my sister and me less and less and eventually he stopped seeing us altogether. Be fore high school had even started my father had abandoned our entire family. My mother was left supporting a family on a single income and struggling to keep a house over our head and food on the table. My mom and our family have found the true meaning of struggle over the past four years. Our family has bound together and learned to look into the future rather than dwell on the past. By actually facing an experience where our family had to struggle we all learned that the true meaning of hope. Since then our family has created a special bond through hope. We always look forward to the next day instead of dwelling on the past. Hope has become a regular part of our everyday lives. If it was not for hope our family would have given up years ago and probably moved to a different city in an apartment. Hope helps my mom every day when she goes to work and knows that she is working to support her two fatherless kids back home. Hope helps me study every day and look forward to building a brighter future towards a college education. And

hope helps my sister every time she picks up a softball to pitch a game. Hope runs through our families veins and has helped us build character and build a better life.