The Written Word

Hannah - Westlake, Ohio

Real life is so limiting. I am prevented from walking down Swann’s way, meeting Mr. Darcy, experiencing White House drama first hand with George Stephanopoulos, running through the Paris underground with Jean Val Jean and saving Middle Earth from destruction with Frodo; compared to such existences and experiences, this life is utterly boring. It is for this reason that I still believe in the imaginative power of the written word.

When you read a book and flip through its pages, you are brought to a sense of higher being. All of your senses become stimulated through an almost meditative experience, where the world that is written becomes alive in your mind. You make of that world what you want. You have the choice to just read the words or to make them come alive. I suppose that this is one of the main reasons why I refrain from watching so much TV—there is no imaginary, everything is preordained.

The written word carries so much power. Words carry the weight of a God, love, despair, and complete happiness. They carry the remnants of the old civilizations and allow them to carry into eternity. Such responsibility is awesome. I can not think of a movie or TV show that’s had so many kill in its name like the Bible. No one has fought holy wars over reality show elimination.

The written word has other mysterious powers. Unlike a TV show, a book always has more things that you can draw from it. Whenever you finish a book and read it again, you come away from it with a completely different feeling than before. A book allows you to set sail on the Aegean sea with Jason, “[cross] over the Misty Mountains cold and [enter into] dungeons deep and caverns old”, dance at a ball at Netherfield with the most eligible bachelor, or “walk with the animals and talk with the animals”. I suppose that in an alternative universe, the couch could offer such a great escape.

I suppose that in this respect, I’ll never fulfill my role of a stereotyped teenager. I’m okay with that. There has been no singular group of people, outside of family and teachers, who have ever given me so much and not expected anything in return for their wealth.