Following Your Dreams

Rebecca - Westlake, Ohio

I believe in chasing your dreams, that’s why I chose to major in education at Ashland University. My aspirations should endeavor to make me happy, not anyone else. When I was younger, I had told my parents that I wanted to become a nurse and work with expecting mothers in the delivery rooms. I had always loved babies and my father said he could see me doing just that. When I started my college search, all of my college selections revolved around the limited schools that offered a nursing program. One school that I had chosen to look at, I had misinterpreted what the brochure had said about their program. Ashland University only offered at nursing program for students who were already registered nurses. When we got there, we still took the tour and looked around; our tour guide had also told us about what a wonderful teaching program they offered. After visiting there I really thought about the idea of becoming a teacher. When sitting in my classes, I had always played with the idea of becoming a high school teacher, but never let the idea leave my mind, my parents had been so proud when I told them I wanted to go into nursing. The thought lingered there for a long time always popping up in the back of my mind, thinking of all the fun things I could do as a teacher, not to mention benefits. When I finally told my dad, he didn’t say much. I think he thought it was just a random idea and I wouldn’t go anywhere with it. When I told my mother, she strongly urged me to start with nursing. She said if I didn’t like it, it was a whole lot easier to switch to teaching than the other way around. I decided to bring it up more often, that way they would know I was serious about the idea. When the swim coach from Notre Dame asked me to come practice with them, he set up a meeting with the Nursing Director.

After meeting with the director, I knew nursing isn’t what I wanted to do. I didn’t want to be stuck in a hospital everyday, having new patients and not getting to know any of them. I like talking to people, and I feel that by going in to teaching, I’ll be a lot happier when I get to know different students and see them develop throughout the year. When I told my parents that I was going to go into education, they supported my choice. Although they still wanted me to go to Norte Dame, they knew it was my ultimate decision and didn’t try to influence me. I’m nervous about going away to school and leaving everything behind, but at least now I know I’m going after something I really care about. Everyone should chase after their dreams. This I believe.