Samantha - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: family, love, setbacks

I believe that money can’t buy you love. It can’t buy you family love or true love or love from your friends; money will just bring you the fake love of those who are only there as long as you can do whatever they want you to do.

Early in January my dad lost his job. The day he came home I could feel that something wasn’t right. The anguish on his face and the disappointment in himself just emanated from him. My dad losing his job has been a strain on everyone in the family, especially him. He puts on the happy exterior when we kids are around, but I hear him and my mom talking in hushed tones. He feels lost without having somewhere to go every morning like he had been for the past 20 years. Waking up with me before I leave for school, brewing his first hot cup of coffee for the day, toasting his bagel to perfection, that was our morning routine every weekday for 6 years. Now her sleeps in, dreaming of the day when it’s a necessity for him to wake-up early again.

I used to not have to worry where I spent my allowance for each month because I could always go to my parents and ask them for a little something extra. That routine has changed now. Day to day things like buying lunch at school or picking something up at Drug Mart have to be monitored because I need to pay attention to how much I spend month to month. I can tell the toll it’s taken on my dad, but I also know that as a family, we’ve become closer because spending time together instead of being out and about is a much better alternative to worrying. I’ve personally realized how much useless spending I’ve done over the years. I’ve also realized that my real friends don’t care if I can’t do things where spending money is a necessity, they would rather just spend time hanging out. Family love doesn’t depend on the amount you make, but the effort you put into spending time with one another. I’m able to spend quality time with my dad everyday during privileges. This is time I haven’t gotten to spend time with him over the years.

Money actually can’t buy you love, but we can make love happen.