Beaten On Is Not Beaten Down

Seth - Placerville, California

I believe everything happens for a reason: the good and the bad. Every experience shapes the person you are and will be. Like most people have, I have been through both positive and negative experiences. I try not to regret any of my experiences, to just learn from all of them. In my eyes regret is pointless. You should love the person you are and regretting your experiences, is regretting who you are. I believe that in life you can either let experiences suppress and depress you or change and enlighten you.

Getting my black belt in Taekwondo when I was only eleven was a good experience because it physically and mentally trained me, and gave me self confidence and a sense of achievement. Since I enjoy learning Taekwondo, it makes not regretting it easy. Other harsher experiences are not so easy to look back on without regret. That portion of my life has helped mold me into who I am.

The experience of sitting down to write about what I believe is also something that is affecting who I am, even as I type. Every infinitesimal part of what I do is changing me. It is up to each of us to find the good in each experience and allow that to be the catalyst for change.

A bigger part of who I am might be having been physically and verbally abused when I was younger. My mom’s ex-partner was a raging alcoholic and for several years took her anger out on me. I think she had experienced abuse as a child herself and did not learn from that experience. If you have been abused you know how it feels and you shouldn’t want to continue the cycle, so learning is essential. Abuse is a horrible thing to happen to any person, but I still don’t sit here and think, “I wish that never happened to me.” I am not at all happy that I was abused, but regretting it would be pointless, because that would be regretting part of me.

I believe that even a negative experience can be viewed as something positive. It is an experience that contributed to making me who I am, even though no one should have to go through any type of abuse. I know I never what to abuse others because of my experiences.

Every event of life allows us to learn something new. Through experiencing life, we can learn from what life has to teach us. I am excited and yet nervous to live the rest of my life. I am still very young; I know there is a lot out there still to learn. At the end of the journey I hope I can look back and know that I made good decisions that were based on the knowledge and experience gained throughout my entire life.