It’s A Love Tap

Kathryn - Grangeville, Idaho

I believe that a little love tap on the bottom does no harm. When a child sits in the “time out corner,” most times the child does no self-reflection and does not learn from their mistakes. A child needs to understand that the punishment for throwing the cat, kicking a sister, or back talking may be necessary for a love tap. By having a child understand this punishment, it helps to prevent them from doing the bad act again. Spanking, I believe, instills respect that a child learns to give to another person or object.

Living out in the middle of nowhere, where there were no neighbors, there were no cops, and there were no boundaries, my parents usually let us kids roam freely around the family farm. There was no reason for my younger sister and me to be cooped up inside when the rays of the sun beamed down to reflect off the window of our old Ford pickup. At the mischievous age of nine, I wanted to explore the power of that 1979 Ford pickup.

It was on my envious side that I wanted to duplicate the perfected act of driving the pickup as seen from my two older brothers. We successfully sneaked around my mother and father and climbed into the pickup. As I turned the key, the pickup slowly started along with the increasing speed of my heart. As the engine rumbled, I felt the pickup start to roll until it hit hard into a fence post. The beads of sweat started to trickle down my neck as my faced turned red. While holding hands, my sister and I slowly walked back towards the house with our heads hung low and our shoulders slumped. I had remembered seeing my older brothers and older sister get a spanking but I thought it would never be my turn. My eyes met mother’s eyes and I knew that it was now my turn.

My view of doing something wrong changed from that point on because I knew there was going to be a punishment. I came to the realization that if we, my brothers, sisters and I, did not follow the rules the first time then the little tap on the rump became a harder slap, to where it stung to sit.

From my experiences with spanking, I believe that a love tap on the rear does no harm as long as it does not lead to abuse. If a child throws a fit in the grocery store and starts to throw candy bars, then it is up to the parents to decide if they want to spank their child or send them to the corner to “think.” I believe that a love tap is an effective and successful way for a child to learn respect, if necessary; it does no harm to the child except bruise their pride.