Turning everything negative into positive in order to succeed

Ashley - phoenix, Arizona
Themes: setbacks

I believe that many people face many obstacles’ as young adults or maybe even as teenager but you always have to learn how to make every thing positive to succeed.

As I was growing up there were lots of obstacles thrown at me. There were so many I didn’t think I could handle it. One big obstacle was when I was six years old my mother had gone to prison for about four years. I didn’t know what to do, didn’t know where I was going to live or with whom. All I wanted was for my brothers and I to stay together. After about a month I found out that we had to go live with my mom’s brother who we thought was very mean. He was a very strict man and would get very upset if we came home with a C on our report card. I’m not saying being strict is bad but some people just go over the line. Being there with him was very hard and all I thought about was when my mom was going to pick us up, but that day didn’t come till about five years later. It was a hard battle but my mom still won custody of us.

Life was all-good with my mom until she met my little brothers dad. That’s when everything went down hill and I was faced with another obstacle. My brother’s dad was very abusive and almost killed my mom so many times, but she still went back to him. After awhile my mom turned all her pain to drugs instead of turning her pain to something that’s helpful for her and her kids such as the strength to leave that man. So since she got on drugs my mom lost all her kids and now I’m raising my 4-year-old brother and trying to be a good role remodel for him. My mom is now in prison again and has been in there for almost five years. Since she has gotten incarcerated I have set my standards higher so I won’t turn out like her. And through all the pain I’ve been through with out my mom at my side I have learned how to take all that negativity and make it positive so I can succeed. So at this point and time in my life I believe that nothing can ever break me down cause I make all the negativity that come towards me positive, which helps me make it through this messed up world.