I Believe In Humor

Thomas - fairfield, Connecticut

I believe in humor, even more so I believe in humor all the time. It goes beyond an occasional laugh or the cracking of a joke here or there, I believe in humor anywhere and everywhere. Humor to me is something special, it’s a part of me that I share with everyone I interact with everyday, and I am the messenger of humor. By believing in humor I mean that I feel humor can be created in any situation, that it is needed in every situation. Whether the situation is already comedic or so serious and “dead” humor is needed to disperse the ashes.

I am in tenth grade at one of two high schools in my town and work part time at the local Dairy Queen. It’s a quarter of a mile walk from the school and the environment within the compact ice cream shop is usually very upbeat and funny with much conversations consisting of drugs, sex, and alcohol. However, what is typically a very humoring place becomes a nightmare on a balmy day where the line of customers raps around the building like a snake and constricts the comedic presence right out of the building. The air becomes dry and warm, employees sweat, and tensions rise, as customers are indecisive and change their orders constantly causing the line to continue to grow. The laughter that once was very present inside the Dairy Queen is now only exhibited to the loud and obnoxious kids when you hand them there cone and they put it all over themselves. This situation seems unbearable and very exhausting for the only laugh a fellow employee or I may utter is when a customer makes an awkward comment. Although, it’s deathly quiet inside the shop the external noise flows within the building and humor is very needed. My belief in humor allows me to see the creation of something comedic in every situation. I am the vaccine that cures the virus of stress and intensity that is palpable between the employees. To say something sarcastic may be risky because of the stress someone may not find it funny at the time but it is a risk I take took break away the ice piece by piece. My belief in humor causes me to strive to find something comedic constantly, I am looking at every imperfection of something or try to create a sly comment on every slew of words thrown my way.

I believe in humor, this has become a part of me and a way that I live by. This believe makes me blind to what seems impossible, the creation of a laugh anywhere. I am unaware of awkward moments and I believe in pushing the envelope beyond that sticky seal because humor has no limits. This I believe.