Lory - hernando, Florida

“ Lory! What did you do to your hair?” I will never forget the day I got yelled at for my brother and I destroying each other’s hair. It was a disaster! I dreaded the way people would look at me after the snip. I looked as if I stuck my head through a shredder. The worst part about it was that fixing it was no better.

Sometimes people or even your family and friends can make you feel upset, make you regret things you’ve done in your life that you know now were pointless. After my brother and I got caught with scissors, on the top bunk of a bunk bed, pushing the remains of hair behind the bed, my life became embarrassing. To fix the rat nest on the top of my head, my Memaw had to even it out and I became the girl with a mushroom top.

I would walk down the hall hearing snickers from the kids around me. Even my best friends looked at me differently, as if I had stolen their boyfriend or something. I would go home feeling sick of the way other kids were treating me, making me feel ashamed. After my hair finally started to grow out people had gotten used to the way I looked, luckily I regained my friends!

Recently, I realized my hair was getting way too many dead ends, so I went to Sally’s salon to get a trim. It didn’t turn out the way I hoped. My hair was uneven and the only way to fix it was to cut it a little shorter than my shoulders. I noticed it was way shorter than I had wanted it, but overall it wasn’t too bad. At that instant, the embarrassing image of mushroom top shot into my head, letting me know things could be worse. Now when something humiliating or shameful happens to me I look back at that one moment in my life and I know that I grew from the experience and it made me stronger.

Till this day my mom recalls to other family members, and reminds me about that day with extraordinary details. But I realized that the embarrassing, foolish events you go through in your life make you the way you are, even when you regret them as you grow.

This I believe.

Beth Trygar

8B Language Arts

Citrus Springs Middle School