Meeting a Remarkable Person

Isabel - Phoenix, Arizona

Meeting someone significantly like me is something I have always found difficult. Keeping a good friend has been a struggle because either I would change or they would change, hopefully for the best but not always. I never really felt I had what you call a best friend, until I met her.

This year was the start of something new; high school. I came in hoping to meet new people and just get away from the old crowd. So the first day came around and my first class was French 1. I saw a couple people I knew and met a few new ones. No one really ‘caught my eye’. My second hour was Science; I’m a smart girl so I had honors. Again, I recognize some people but the class in general was the weirdest bunch of students. This is where I met Rochelle.

Now came third period and she also had dance with me. This class really opened the doors to a brand new friendship. Not only did it open the door for a new friendship, but allowed me to continue to dance. Dancing is so important to me because I have my eye set on Julliard. From this day on we have been inseparable. As we grew to know each other the puzzles of our lives just meshed together. Although I seem to know more in school, she is more intellectual. I’m the wild; let’s have fun character and Rochelle thinks of consequences. Her personality has rubbed off on me and mine has rubbed off on her. At times I let my emotions get the best of me and she’s there to listen. She’s been the only person to put up with my attitude, my flaws and just plain ole me. I consider her family. When we are together the vibe is real, no hostility, no hate, or negativity, just humor. We tend to laugh at the most ridiculous things.

She has taught me lessons through time by setting an example and being a great role model. I have learned to relax with her. In a way Rochelle has taught me life can only be what you make of it. Tomorrow is a new day; don’t focus on the negative, but the positives that can come out of the situation. I have learned she is strong when I am weak. When my head is down she reaches out and lifts it up. Rochelle is my best friend and my support system. This, I believe.