Phone Calls Home

Kevin - Redwood City, California

Growing up I was always surrounded by my extended family. If it was carpooling to school, practicing sports, or simply being involved in family activities, I always had a family member to keep me company. Nearly everyday I was fortunate enough to be able to see my closet relatives and family friends. Through all the wonderful times and special occasions, nothing can compare to my family’s traditional, “Sunday Dinners.” Sunday Dinners at the Bocci Household consist of numerous rowdy family and friends, all bringing over a different type of food to add to the potluck dinner. These special nights were erased from my week once I moved to college.

Once I graduated high school and moved into my dorm at Cal Poly, I could only wonder what I would do without my traditional Sunday Dinners. After a few weekends in the quarter with nothing to look forward to on Sundays other than football or golf on TV, I figured it out. I talked to my mom on a Sunday morning, she was telling me about how excited she was for Sunday Dinner and how she missed me being a part of them. During the rest of the day I was not myself; I was sad, jealous, and was having an overall awful day. Then, a few hours later, while eating my dorm food, I received a call from my home. It was my mother and a few others calling to say hello, and tell me a funny story that had happened. I ended up not eating my food and talking on the phone to everyone I had missed from home. That is when it hit me, while walking back to my dreadful dorm, I could only think about how delighted I was to talk to everyone back home. It felt so good to be a part of my family’s Sunday Dinner tradition through a long distance phone call. It was the same from that Sunday on: I always made a short but pleasing phone call home during Sunday Dinner. Those quick conversations keep me in touch with all the people I am closest to back home, while helping me cope with feeling homesick.

I believe in Sunday phone calls home to stay in touch with my family and friends and to keep that warm feeling of comfort that comes with home. Whether it is a Sunday after a long weekend of partying and advice is needed on how to lose a hangover, or just because I am too overwhelmed with homework, a phone call is the perfect remedy to start off another long and stressful week of school.

My Sunday phone calls home have slowly turned into more than the average phone call: they have become the only thing close to the way I feel about Sunday Dinners. Soon it seemed that I had started my own family tradition that I would make a weekly call during my families Sunday Night Dinners to check in with my family and let them know I survived another weekend of college living, as well as to check in on everyone at home. I have been calling home on Sundays for almost two years now, and I do not see it stopping any time soon. So again, I believe in a short but sweet phone call home to keep in touch with family and friends.