This I Believe…

Jade - Columbia, Maryland

I believe in the power of kindness. Kindness cannot only influence others to be kind, but could help save somebody’s life. When I was in English class in high school it was a routine for my teacher to talk about daily news that happens around the world. I do not remember the exact day but I will never forget the story she told me, it changed my life. She told us about a man who committed suicide. He was a man who was very depressed and felt he had nothing in this world to live for. One morning this man decided that he was going to commit suicide this day, unless he was encountered with a stroke of kindness. He wrote in his suicide note that he was going to take a walk along a bridge, a bridge that hundreds of people walk along everyday, and if one person says “hi” to him that he would not commit suicide that day. Unfortunately no one was kind enough to say “hi” to him as he walked along the bridge and the man end up committing suicide. This story changed me. I was amazed how something so little and effortless, as a hello, could possibly have an effect on saving someone life. I was amazed of the power of kindness. I was also sadden that out of hundreds of people no one said “hello“. This man could still be alive today if someone would have showed a little bit of kindness and said something as a simple “hello“. Ever since I heard that story I always made an effort to say hello and be kind to strangers, even if they are rude to you. I try not to take the rudeness personal, or let it have much of an effect on me because you never know what type of day that person can be having, or what personal struggles they may be going through. Your kindness can be he only thing that person needs. Being kind can lift that persons spirits, or possibly save a persons life.