Naptime Is Not Just For Kindergartners

Ashlee - Livermore, California

Naptime is not just for kindergartners

Looking back throughout high school and now college there was not a day that went by where I did not fall asleep during the school day. School nights and mornings were brutal; I woke up early and went to sleep late at night. Often times I find it hard for myself to achieve all of my duties or responsibilities during the day because I am too tired. Napping is the one thing that allows me to function on a daily basis.

On average a person needs 7 hours of sleep each night. However, for teenagers and adults it is not always possible to sleep for the required amount of time. For example, my high school began school at 8 am and ended at 3 pm, then I had basketball practice from 4-6 pm, then I ate dinner with my family and finally I had homework. By the time I had gone through my daily events it was 1 am, which resulted in 6 hours of sleep at night. I could not survive my day without a nap in between school and extracurricular activities. My level of energy and capability to perform physical and mental activities would be non-existent. According to study at Wright State University’s Medical Center, Michael H. Bonnet and Donna L. Arand report that a lack of 40-50 minutes of sleep can have negative impacts. Bonnet and Arands’ study showed 10% of fatal car accidents result from fatigue and a decrease in ability to perform daytime functions. The body needs adequate amounts of rest for the body and mind. In order to make up the difference naps are the solution to help one reach the addition hours lost at night.

There is no better feeling than waking up from a nap during the middle of the day. Imagine trying to go to school for 8 hours, playing a sport, having family time, hanging out with friends and doing homework. A nap is almost a requirement with such a chaotic schedule. With a nap you can complete your daily activities feeling refreshed and recovered. After a nap your mood will be improved and your focus on being tired will be eliminated.

I believe in taking naps during the daytime. Naps allow people to get another fresh start to the day. They are beneficial to the quality of one’s health and state of mind. Naps are more beneficial for people that do not get adequate sleep at night for optimum functioning.