Dumb Blonde

Kylee - Arvada, Colorado

What is the difference between a smart blonde and Bigfoot? Someday we may actually find Bigfoot. Judgment or discrimination? Both. I have been called a dumb blonde many times in my life, but when my best friend called me a dumb blonde, I knew it was an issue.

It was the morning of the first day of second grade. Butterflies filled my half empty stomach as I rode to school. To my dismay, I wore a pink dress, with matching shoes, and my light blonde hair was curled slightly below my chin. Soon enough, nerves turned into excitement and I could not stop smiling. At this age, school was my life; especially my friends. As I happily got out of the car, one of my very best friends Zach McCan asked to race to our classroom door. Of course, I could not pass this up. As Zach and I took our stance, we took off. I was ahead and giggling the whole time. Rocks were gently tapping my calves as I made a complete stop. I had won. I raised my hand for a high five, but was surprised when I didn’t receive one back. “Dumb blonde!” Zach screamed in my face. I had never been called a dumb blonde before. I was getting judged as a blonde by my best friend because I won a silly race. The only thing I could think of was to grab a handful of rocks, throw them at Zach’s face and run off before he saw the tears streaming down my face. The day was long, and I had to ride the bus home. My mom was eagerly waiting at the front door, frowning when she saw dirt covering my dress. The water works started again and I begged to my mom to let my dye my hair brown. My mom wouldn’t cave. So this was it; I had to live with being a dumb blonde forever. Inside, I was hurt. When did children start using appearance to judge and discriminate against someone?

American society has brought up children to think blondes are simply dumb. Disney Channel has influenced this idea by only having three blondes on all of their TV programs. Not only is this discriminatory, but also judgmental. The concept of being a “dumb blonde” has been around for quite some time. Many people think that is ridiculous to get hurt over such a thing, but to me, it is the only way you can bring my confidence down. Hair color has nothing to do with one’s intelligence. Disney Channel and media in general have just let us, as Americans think this way.

I believe that a person should not be judged or discriminated against because of their hair color and one should not be judged by appearance.

Being judged as a blonde is not funny. The Bigfoot joke makes me laugh at its’ stupidity. Americans have believed that blondes are meant to be dumb. Blondes are judged against because they may not get every joke, they may not be the most intelligent, but they are still people who deserve a chance to be looked at as an individual, and not a stereotypical category. If I could tell Zach how I feel, he wouldn’t understand. Because I got called a dumb blonde, I persevere to be as smart as I can be s I will never fall into the “dumb blonde category” again. What is the difference between a smart blonde and Bigfoot? Bigfoot is still missing. Smart blondes are everywhere.