I Believe in Music

Joseph - San Luis Obispo, California

Music. Even just a simple glance at the word and I instantaneously feel comforted. Thinking about that five letter word instills in me feelings of relaxation, optimism, and pure joy every time I encounter it, which usually happens multiple times a day. Whether I’m walking to class, chilling in my dorm room, or driving down the highway, music is always playing, and I’m always singing along.

I have an older brother, 30, and an older sister, 28, both of who are heavily into music. It is through them that I developed this deep passion. I distinctly remember the hundreds of times I would lie on the floor in my big brothers’ room with him by my side, eyes closed, listening to all of his favorite bands. Because of those memorable times I had as a young boy, I began to develop my own personal love for music. Although I could go on for hours about all the different aspects of music I like the most, I’m going to talk about the one that’s most important and applicable to my life, the connections I am able to make through music.

When I was in 8th grade, my brother and sister-in-law moved to the island of Phi Phi, a small tropical island located 45 minutes off the shore of Phuket, Thailand. I was used to my brother travelling quite a bit, but moving halfway across the world for who knows how long was a completely different story. My brother is my best friend and the person I look up to the most, so as you can imagine, saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I’d ever done. As he pulled away, I immediately ran up to my room in tears and put on our favorite band in the universe, Radiohead. I laid down on the floor, eyes glued to the ceiling, and allowed my sad tears to slowly transform into happy ones. I reminisced all the good times I had had with my brother. All the times we had laid on this exact floor, eyes closed, listening to the same songs I was listening to now. Connecting. I suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of comfort in the realization that my brother was with me. He would always be with me; if not physically, then emotionally. And this was all thanks to the absolute power of music.

Another time of my life where I came to fully realize this astounding power was my freshman year in high school, when I met my best friend Drew. The differences between us seemed to outweigh the similarities in the beginning, but as we became closer, we started to discover how alike we actually were. We discovered one another’s love for music and relished in the fact that we both shared such a similar passion. We introduced bands to each other, went to countless shows, and even spent nights just simply listening to some of our favorite tunes. Amidst all the fantastic times I had in high school, the ones that seem to stand out the most are ones that involve Drew and music. Even though he doesn’t go to college with me, whenever a song comes on that we both love, I always feel as if he’s sitting right next me singing at the top of his lungs.

I believe in music. I believe it has the power to heal. I believe it has the power to inspire. But, most of all, I believe music has the divine power to connect individuals to one another.