Nightmares and Dreams

Enrique - arvada, Colorado

Nightmares… a dream that provokes fear into the heart of the person asleep, and I have a lifetime of nightmares. I was three years old I was waking up in the middle of the night to yelling and screaming. I get up to see what it is; I see my mother on the floor and my dad hitting her again and again. Mom is bleeding screaming for help. I yell “Papa por favor stop, stop.”

Now that was fourteen years ago but I still feel the pain of my mom being punched and kicked. After all this all I want to do is protect women but I don’t know how cause my actual dad only taught me how to disrespect women. I don’t have a dad to show me how; that’s how my life has been for many years. Than a man named Daniel Archuleta, a five foot seven man very kind but yet still frightening, a man I never thought I would meet in my life he is of the same race as me Hispanic teaching me more of my heritage and how men should treat women. He was the father figure I was looking for tough, strict, supporting and most important loving. He taught me how to become a man and how I should treat women I meet or care for. He is now my stepfather even though he is locked up. He still gives me great advice and support. So now that I am seventeen years of age I have learned to let go of the past and don’t let it eat you on the inside.

So I believe in Mentors. Mentors are the people leading you the right way into life. Be it a friend, a father, a mother, it just doesn’t matter as long they treat you well and keep you down the right path.

Life is full of pain and suffering. People go through divorces all the time in this generation and kids have step-parents; which is the scariest thing for a kid cause they don’t know how they will act towards them. Parents, kids, and people in general need help but are afraid to ask; this is where mentors come in. Mentors are people that have lived lives that were hard but they stride through their own personal pain and suffering. Mentors also help people that are struggling and help them get by in their lives. Mentors could be anyone that could help out.

I believe that my stepfather help me forget the past and how to forgive. Mentors help people be successful in their time of pain and suffering. Being honest with a person can help in many different ways be it good or bad; it still helps knowing the truth in a time of pain and suffering.

My mentor, my stepfather Daniel, has made a big impact on my life and I would never want to let him down because of my past. Nightmares strike fear into hearts, but no longer my nightmares scare me but turn to dreams of my future.