Lessons from an Athlete

Rachel - Magnolia, Arkansas
Themes: sports

Playing a sport helps in more ways than one. Winning a game makes an individual ecstatic, but is an individual still happy when he or she leaves the field or court? Life is not all about winning or losing games, but if athletes use what they learn by playing a sport, the lessons can help them in life situations.

What happens if teachers have a bad day at school? They do not pack up and go home. Students are yelling and frustrating the teachers because all they hear is screaming children. They cannot just give up and quit; they have to go on with that day’s lesson. Sports help with everyday life. Sometimes when I have been running for a very long time, sweat soaking my clothes, legs feeling like Jello, feeling as if I can run no more, I want to give up, fall over, and never run again; but if I quit once, I could quit again and then again, eventually earning a label of a quitter. So I keep running and cross the finish line feeling as if I have achieved something, knowing that I strived and gave my all. Having the feeling of success makes me want to never quit or give up, no matter if the battle is in a track meet or a life situation. Like athletes, teachers learn to achieve their goals by never giving up when times are hard.

There is no “I” in team. One guy on a football team cannot play by himself against eleven other guys. There is no possible way that he will win; however, if he works with a team, the chances are higher. Being on a team teaches an individual trust. Not only do I have to trust my teammates, but they have to trust me, too. This means that I can never quit and must always give 100 percent because they depend on me. I have to have faith in my teammates no matter what sport I play. Having a bad attitude about another teammate only makes matters worse. Learning to have faith in teammates teaches individuals that they can have faith in others.

Being in a sport teaches athletes to be disciplined. Wearing the same color shirt and shorts is only one way coaches discipline their athletes. If coaches let their athletes wear whatever they wanted, they would look tacky and not be disciplined. If there was no discipline, athletes would not care about anything. In all, they would not have a good team and would not be successful. Coaches say, “If you practice well, you do well; if you practice badly, you do badly.” This same concept works whether an individual is in a sport or not. Learning how to be disciplined in sports teaches individuals to be disciplined.

I believe playing sports can help people in other areas and teaches them life lessons that cannot be learned through academics. A sport is more than just winning games.