Size Doesn’t Matter

Tyler - Youngtown, Arizona

I remember watching the 2006 sprite slam dunk competition. The 5’9 Nate Robinson was one of the final two dunkers against Andre Iguodala standing 6’6. After an incredible dunk by Iguodala it was Nate Robinson’s turn. Nate chose a prop to use and that prop was the great Spud Webb standing 5’4 right in front of the 10 foot basket. I was inches away from my television screen in shock while I watched Nate Robinson leap over the shortest player to play the game with an incredible windmill dunk.

That moment when Nate Robinson won the dunk competition with a full 50 point score changed the way that I look at things. It inspired me to devote myself to being on the list of the greatest hoopers under 6 feet. I’m obviously not there yet, but I’m continuing to work hard and expand my game to higher levels. Spud Webb was the shortest player of all time to be in the NBA and the shortest player to win the dunk competition. He won it against the hall of famer Michael Jordan. After this all happened this told me that “Size doesn’t matter”.

For years I’ve been judged about my height and I’ve been picked last between choosing teams during recess, but I’m beyond that. I became one of the best on the courts among every other hooper to play during recess. I had expanded my game to being the one to choose my team; I had become one of the team captains. I had become an unexpected shot blocker who players would say “He came out of nowhere”.

In high school, I came and discovered that there were plenty of great hoopers that came from everywhere. Try outs came and players would mess around and try to pick out the team already while I just wanted to play. I was determined to make it but not once in my mind ever did I think about making varsity. Varsity was for the best of the best players of the entire campus. Many varsity players told me that I was good, but only if I were taller I’d be playing with them on the varsity team. That moment I was proud but than again I was disappointed. I couldn’t believe that I went from being one of the last ones picked to play to being technically a varsity basketball player.

This motivated me to expand my game to be so good to where my size wouldn’t matter, like I said it’s my goal to be one of the best hoopers under 6 feet. “Size doesn’t matter”, I hope I can be another player to prove that, this I believe.