Take Some Good with the Bad

Kayleigh - Mashpee, Massachusetts

Everyone should learn to take some good out of bad situations. This I Believe. Six years ago my sister died. She got into a car accident, drunk driving being the cause. She not only lost her own life, but her friend that was in the passenger seat died as well. Not one day goes by that I don’t think of her. My sister was always the popular one, or at least that’s how I remembered her. She always had friends, but partying became a priority. She graduated high school (by the skin of her teeth) but she didn’t go right off to college. She worked two jobs and had already moved out by now (Mostly due to my jerk of a stepfather. I can think of better names to call him, but I won’t.) When she first moved out she lived with her best friend/our cousin. She then proceeded to move in with her boyfriend. Her boyfriends and her birthday were one week a part, she was going to be 19. She was at a party for his birthday. She left to go pick up some other friends, but she never returned. I’ll never forget the deep sobs that arose from my mother’s throat that early morning. I was 12. I had some gut feeling that told me something was terribly wrong. I pretended to go back to sleep in fear of what lie ahead in my day. My mom and stepfather (who I didn’t like then either) came into my room…I instantly went into hysteria asking what was wrong, who was it? My mom told me its “tina” (that was my nickname for her since I was little), my gut told me it wasn’t good, but I thought she would at least be alive and that with a little bit of hope she would be okay. My next thought was how bad? My mom replied with two words…She’s gone. From that moment on I looked at life a little differently. She had just started to turn her life around. She was going to be 19, the age I will be in about a month. I never thought I would eventually get older than my older sister. She was about to go to college and she promised me that I could come up and visit some weekends. My mom didn’t like the idea and never understood why until now. Everything that I do now is always partly for my sister and what she never got to live. I know she’s looking down on me and couldn’t be more proud. I was and am everything she wasn’t. I remember her with my tattoo’s and good and bad memories, some pictures, but mostly with the idea that I know she would want me to make the best out of her bad situation and live my life to fullest, follow my dreams, and not make her mistakes. Because of her my life went down a different path and I don’t know where I would be without the things that I went through. I miss and will miss her every day for the rest of my life.