The Meaning of Life

Stephen - Camillus, New York

I believe in freedom. I believe in the golden rule. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I believe in cooperation and compassion. I believe in God, and the creation of all the seen and unseen by God. God is not an excuse to explain the meaning of life; God is life. God always was, always is, and always will be. I am “good friends” with God; I see and talk to God everyday. I see God in a child with cancer, I see God on Flight 1549 of the Hudson, I see God in a flower, I see God in the sun, and I even see God in horrible tragedies. I see God in everyone and everything, since God created everyone and everything. I believe in the invisible hand of God and the gifted mind of Charles Darwin. But I also believe Darwin wouldn’t have had his intelligence, if God had not given it to him. No doubt, evolution has occurred, but it didn’t happen by chance, God had guided it, is guiding it, and will always guide it until the end of time. DNA is not a molecule of chance; it is the language of God. I believe in all religions, so long as they encourage one to be a better person. I believe in Jesus Christ and all his words, and all his miracles. I do not take the Old Testament literally. I don’t know how everything came to be, but I do know that however it happened, God created it. If the big bang did occur, God caused it. I believe in the descent of man from a primate, but at some point in time, that primate became human and infused with a soul by God.

I wake up everyday to be a better person than I was the day before. Sometimes I fail and regress, but I get back up and keep trying. Besides the moral victories, I also believe in realistic victories. I believe in working hard, progress, and accomplishment. I believe in human equality, everyone should be treated as equals, because we are equals. However, I don’t believe in the “Robin Hood” socialist policies that try and close the gap between rich and poor, and likewise decrease motivation across the spectrum. Everyone was dealt different hands and I believe in hard work to make the best of what has been given. I believe in nature, music, and art. I believe in individualism and in the person who goes against the majority even though it’s “not cool.” I believe in Jesus, William Wallace, Ghandi, Rosa Parks, and Rick Santorum. I believe in friends, family, and in the responsibilities of parenthood. I don’t blame mal behavior on the individual alone, but on the individual’s parents too, and I don’t give all the praise for good behavior to the individual alone, but also to his or her parents. I believe in the right to all life, in the womb, and on the deathbed, healthy or sick. I believe in life after death and in Heaven and Hell. I believe in sin and grace, and the free will to make decisions. That is the main reason why I place my feet off the bed and onto the floor every morning, to work on being a better person and getting to Heaven, while hopefully bringing people with me at the same time. I live for God in Heaven, family, and friends, and as Metallica would put it, “Nothing Else Matters.”