Making A Difference In a Teen’s Life

Adam - Arvada, Colorado

My life has been full of good things and bad things; I’ve made choices I’ll always regret making and they will always be in the back of my mind haunting me. My grandpa is the same way, he made choices in his life he’ll never forgive himself for and when he sat me down and talked to me about it my life was changed from that moment on. My grandpa is one of the most intelligent people I know and many of the stories he has told me have changed my perspective on some subjects, but none have been as powerful as his story on living with the choices I make.

One day my grandpa, one of the biggest, most intimidating men I’ve ever met, but he’s also one of the nicest, most caring people; asked me to come and sit at the table and talk with him about something, as soon as he said those words I knew it was time for one of his stories. When he started the story, with his first sentence I knew it was going to be one of those life lesson stories, but what I didn’t realize was how huge of an impact it would have on me. The seriousness in his voice made me realize how important it was for me to make sure I took it to heart, and the look in his eyes that you can barely see through his drooping eyebrows, gave me chills and made me realize how important it was to him for me to understand. His story explained the importance of making the right choices in your life and being ready down the road for the consequences of the wrong ones.

The choice that came back to haunt him was his choice of losing control with his alcohol and the affect it had on him and his family. He told me that the way he acted when he was drunk was a person he didn’t even know he could become, he told me that he hated the way he acted and will never forgive himself for some of the things he did while intoxicated. The tone and genuineness in his voice is what gave his story so much power and actually made me listen and take what he was saying to heart. I believe to get teens today to listen to what people are saying about drugs, alcohol, sex, and many other problems in their lives, they just need someone to talk top them genuinely, and sincere enough for the teen to get the sense that they actually care about them. That single story, with me and my grandpa sitting at the table made me feel like he was the one person that would always be there for me and always take the time to make sure I’m doing okay, and if something isn’t okay he’ll do anything in his power to make sure the problem is corrected.

Today in our society, there are thousands of troubled teens that just need someone to take the time to talk to them with some care and sincerity. My grandpa was that person that changed my life and kept me from getting into the trouble that most teens can’t stay out of. He is the one person that I think everybody should take note of and strive to be like. I believe teens in this country are just looking for someone to care about them, and talk to them with some sincerity for them to actually listen and take note of what is being said. I can honestly say that my grandpa was my saving grace and made a difference in my life just because for the first time someone talked to me with some sincerity and made me believe that they actually cared. So parents, teachers, friends, family members, even brothers and sisters that have a relationship with a teen and feel like you could make a difference in his/her life, talk to him/her with some sincerity and care in your voice and something will click in any teens’ mind.