A Time for Myself

Adam - Concord, California

Each day I wake up knowing that I have a myriad of tasks to accomplish. Whether it is finishing an assignment or attending a meeting, I know that the majority of my day is set before it has even started. In essence, this is the “American” way and when the day ends I am repeatedly astonished by how time escapes me. Too often this is the case and it is a feeling that is habitually felt throughout our working-class nation. This is why I believe in setting aside time each morning for ourselves before we start our day.

It took me many years to realize the importance of setting aside time for myself. Before my enlightenment, on an average day, I would wake up as late as possible before having to leave the house. I would rush in the shower, eat a quick bowl of cereal, and run out the door to my first undertaking. Soon after, a feeling of fatigue would set in. I had essentially set my day up for disaster. Not in the sense that the day would be a failure, but that I hadn’t taken the time for myself to be prepared for its challenges. By the time evening hit, I would be tired and even if I was done for the day, my exhaustion would overcome me as I restlessly sat in front of the television. I knew that this was no way to live, but this sentiment is commonly seen throughout society.

Something had to change. I was determined to start each day 30 minutes earlier in the morning, so that I could have some quality unscheduled time. At first this was a vast undertaking, since I had been used to sleeping in during the morning, but in reality, I knew this was not too much to ask of myself due to its possible future benefits. But now with this time to myself, what was I going to do with it? For me this was a natural decision. It didn’t matter how I was going to use this time, but rather I was taking time out of the day for myself, allowing me to face the beginning of the day head on. I was going to relax and do something I take pleasure in. This now gave me time to enjoy the simplicity of sipping a latte, slowly savoring its taste, while sitting back and relaxing. Other mornings I would listen to a few songs, play a score on the piano, or prepare myself a nice breakfast. The important thing was that I was making time for myself each and every day.

Scurrying out the door is now a thing of the past for me. I start my day strong and I am ready to face what the day has to offer. Finding time for myself has made me more vigorous in my tasks and has brought me an overall positive attitude. If anyone has any doubt, the smile on my face speaks for itself. Finding 30 minutes for myself each day equates to three and a half hours every week, or nearly eight days of time dedicated just to me each year. I believe that we can all benefit from more time for ourselves.