I Believe in Following your Dreams

Clinton - St. Louis, Missouri

“ A boy has the right to dream, there are endless possibilities stretched out before him … believe in yourself and create your own destiny, dont fear failure.”(Toonami) One thing I have learned throughout my life is that it is never beyond your reach to achieve your dreams. My father helped me to learn this lesson, but he is not the only person to have influenced this belief. Another influence is the show, toonami. Toonami taught kids lessons through its shows, but without shoving the morals into your face. Another example that is recent is Barrack Obama becoming president.

The first person who really taught me about following my dreams was my father. My father was born in a poor neighborhood in St. Louis Missouri. My dad worked his way through high school and college, all while supporting his family. He used to tell me stories about how they never knew whether at the end of the day they would have food on the table or not. My dad also told me how at any given day he would work until one or two in the morning, just to go to school the next day and work directly after that. My father followed his dreams of becoming a doctor and attained a scholarship for medical school. Although no one ever thought a poor boy from St. Louis could become a doctor, My dad stayed determined to do what he always dreamed of doing. Because of his determination I learned the lesson that it is never impossible to achieve your dreams.

Another thing that influenced this belief is the anime block called Toonami. Toonami used its shows in order to teach kids that they can follow their dreams no matter what their situation. One of the shows, Outlaw star, the main character (Gene Starwind) is afraid of going into space. The main character has to overcome this fear in order to pursue his dream of becoming an outlaw, or a space cowboy. Gene is a mid 20s, tall male, with scars all over from a spaceship crash early in his childhood. This crash is the root of Gene’s fear toward space. In order to overcome his fear the character has to believe in his dreams, and want is bad enough that he is willing to face his fears for it. Another show that inspires me is Dragon Ball Z. Throughout this show the characters have to learn how to use their powers for good rather than evil. Also the main theme of the show is that once they collect all the balls then they can make a wish, but there are others trying to collect the dragon balls and the good characters need to overcome the bad characters to use the wish for good. Through these shows toonami helped inspire me, along with many other kids around the U.S.

Another person who inspires me to follow my dreams is Barrack Obama. Barrack Obama inspires me because even though he is black and segregation was abolished somewhat recently and there are still a lot of racists out there, Obama overcame them to win over America’s heart. Barrack Obama is not only an inspiration to me but to many other people around the world. When Obama took office it made me feel like America has really overcome and racist beliefs. I also felt proud to be able to say that America has elected a black man as its president. Just 60 years ago a black man would have been refused service in certain restaurants, bathrooms, or even public transportation. And now a black man will be leading our country, that in itself is inspiring.

I believe in following your dreams. This belief has been instilled into my brain through a few different sources. One being my dad, another being Toonami, and finally Barrack Obama. This belief is something that everyone should realize because it is beneficial to everyone. Because of this belief I think that I will be happy in what I choose to do with my life, so long as I am following my dreams and doing what I want to do.